Vegetable boxes


My original garden boxes dated from when we first moved to our present house in 2011, my mother and I made them with planks from a collapsed shed on the property. They had held out pretty well until now, but were getting rotten and beside I wanted bigger boxes with enough space to pass the lawnmower in between. So this Easter, again with my mothers and even Emilie’s help we made new boxes, this time out of thicker, impregnated planks- these should hold out for many years.

For those who are curious here are the dimensions:

-         120 cm x 200 cm
-          2 cm thick wood
-         58 cm between boxes  

Maybe I should have removed the top layer of grass before putting the boxes down as it turned out to be quite a bit of work, but now it’s done and hopefully not too many weeds/grass will come up around the corners.



April 2019 - The old boxes ready to be taken down

My mom hammering away, I was a bit unlucky and hit the pointer on my left hand with the hammer. I had a bruised and painful finger for the rest of the Easter holiday.

Looking much better, and spacious.

Digging up the grass turned out be a bit of work, would have been easier without the box in the way.
Big grass clumps, these were removed along with sticks, roots, and even plastic bag pieces I found inside the ground.


Mr Kitty inspecting my work. The boxes are ready for sowing .....

But, patience is required in Norway. Here is the way the garden looked on the morning of May the 4th. Snow, and minus degrees in the night.



No comments:

Post a Comment